2008/05/09

Quick Wish-List

Of a few books that I am kind of salivating over, but will probably have to restrain myself from getting until (1) I finish moving across the country and (2) there are more used copies floating around at less retail-level prices.
-Timothy Brooks, Death by a Thousand Cuts: I've always kind of had a thing for grotesque diseases and tortures. I guess that makes me a creepy person...but my goal is of course to become awesome enough to write whole books about my creepinesses.
-Antonia Finnane, Changing Clothes in China: Really shouldn't judge books by their covers, but this one's really stylin'. Should I be put off by the back flap adding "Professor" to Dorothy Ko's name...? Clearly the publisher expects its target reader to have no idea who Ko is. But hey, who am I to dis on more accessible writing?
-Wen-hsin Yeh, Shanghai Splendor: Economic Sentiments and the Making of Modern China, 1843-1849: The cover (yeah, I'm judging by superficials again) promises exciting things to say about advertisements, of which I am inordinately fond. Especially hoping that Prof. Yeh talks about ads for VD cures--intersection between teh sexays and the market economy, the latter of which would otherwise make me headdesk repeatedly from boredom!

But for now, back to work.

No comments: